Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions? Below you’ll find answers to the most common questions you may have.

You may be eligible for SDA funding if you are an NDIS participant who has an extreme functional impairment or high supports needs.

If you think you may qualify for SDA funding, talk to your Support Coordinator, NDIS planner or Local Area Coordinator to arrange an assessment.

SDA Funding is only available to a small proportion of NDIS participants. Most access housing in the private real estate market by renting, owning a home or through social and affordable housing schemes.

Social and affordable housing programs include:

  • Housing programs for people on low incomes. These programs are managed differently in each state. Haven; Home, Safe can provide information about this works in Victoria.
  • Commonwealth Rent Assistance, a payment through the Department of Human Services that assists eligible participants with the cost of housing.
  • The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) is creating additional affordable rental properties.
  • Homelessness and emergency accommodation services. Haven; Home, Safe can provide information and linkage to homelessness and emergency accommodation services in Victoria.

The NDIS determines the amount of funding a person receives and how it can be spent through an assessment process managed by the NDIA, not ActiveSDA or Have; Home, Safe.

The price of SDA is set by the NDIS and varies depending on the design and location of the dwelling. In most instances, Haven; Home, Safe can only charge the price of SDA as set by the NDIS. However, there are rare exceptions.

The fee covers the cost of supplying and maintaining the property to a standard that meets design and access requirements of the residents and ensures it’s kept in a good state of repair.

SDA does not cover rent
SDA funding does not include rent, which is a sperate cost to be met by the resident. If the resident receives a disability support pension, the NDIS says that rent may not be more than 25 percent of the disability support pension.

SDA does not cover utilities and living costs
SDA funding does not cover utilities such as phone, electricity, gas, internet and water. Connection fees, usage and any other charges for utilities must be paid for by the resident. Groceries, furniture and other personal items are also the responsibility of the tenant.

Other costs not covered by SDA
SDA does not cover personal assistive technology such as wheelchairs, hoist attachments and other items required by the person because of their disability.

We cannot formally offer you an SDA tenancy until you have the appropriate SDA funding and Supported Independent Living (SIL) approved in your NDIS plan.

In the meantime, you may lodge an expression of interest with us to be contacted about vacancies.

SDA funding is designed and will stimulate investment in the development of high-quality housing for eligible NDIS participants.

Funding is only available to a small proportion of NDIS participants, who receive the funds to pay to live in a purpose-built SDA home.

Payments are made directly to the provider of an SDA property by the NDIA through NDIS My Place while an SDA participant is living in the house.

SDA funding covers the capital costs of owning and operating the house and land in which the tenant lives and receives supports.

SDA is not rent. The tenant pays rent to the SDA property owner. They are also responsible for their living costs such as rent, groceries and utility bills.

Find out more on the NDIS website.

You can’t move in to an SDA dwelling until you have the appropriate level of funding approved for SDA and support services in your NDIS plan. The first person to speak to is your NDIS planner or Local Area Coordinator to arrange an SDA assessment.

This may take some time.

You may lodge an ‘SDA housing expression of interest’ form with Haven; Home Safe, for a current or upcoming an SDA vacancy, however we cannot speed or influence the decision of the NDIS regarding your funding approval.

If your circumstances change after an SDA assessment, you can request a priority review of your NDIS Plan. Call your NDIS Planner or Support Coordinator; they can arrange a review for you.

If you have health problems, you should see your doctor or visit your nearest hospital.

If you believe you have received an unfair or inappropriate funding decision, you can make a complaint to the NDIS Commission. Visit the NDIS website for more information.

State and territory governments are responsible for social and affordable housing programs for people on low incomes. These programs are managed differently in each state.

The NDIS may be able to provide extra assistance to participants, such as through the NDIS Local Area Coordinator to assist the participant to make contact, discuss their needs and apply for housing. Support Co-ordination may also be funded to assist the participant to identity and apply for appropriate housing options.

The NDIS may also fund home modifications to improve accessibility and support delivery, if this is assessed as a suitable option.

The type and design categories for SDA are set by the NDIS so that SDA dwellings may be supplied in a range of types to suit individual needs, including houses, units, apartment, and shared living.

The SDA Design Standard provides detailed information about the design requirements for the NDIS.

Still Have Questions?

Connect with our team for any more inquiries you may have. 

SDA Property Enquiry

Skip to content